[Histonet] Movat Pentachrome

Forest Blankenship Forest.Blankenship at dchstx.org
Thu Sep 1 12:24:13 CDT 2016

Angela, the Movat is a wonderful thing for showing  loss of elastic fibers in emphysema and cardiovascular cases. We ran a ton of them in training because our lab/histo school was affiliated with the Texas Heart Institute.
Currently at the hospital I work at we use a Kit(Polyscientific)  for the VVG part of the stain and Saffron du Galantis for the counterstain. It smells great when gently heated.
As far as remarks about a trichrome being able to show the same thing; yeah if you also run a VVG on a serial section to show elastic fibers  and you lose the awesomeness that is the Movat.

Forest Blankenship, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Manager
Driscoll Children's Hospital
Corpus Christ, TX

Disclaimer: This email and its content are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. Please notify the sender if you have received this email in error or simply delete it.