[Histonet] Maximow Method

Tyrone Genade tgenade at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:38:23 CST 2016

Hello,

I was reading a book from the 60s on the anatomy of aging in man and
animals and the author mentioned using a hematoxylin-eosin Y-Azure-II stain
to show the lymphocytes. Some searching came up with the Maximow Method.
The online protocol I found (for bone marrow):
https://emsdiasum.com/microscopy/technical/datasheet/26252.aspx mentions
the use of Zenker’s or Formalin.

In another old book, Putt's Manual of Histochemical Staining Methods, the
authors says 10% fomalin, Helly's or Zenker's fluid for fixation. I am
definitely not going to start using Zenker's (I get enough grief from the
H&S officer about picric acid). I normally use Davidson's fixative to fix
and decalsify my fish (formaldehyde, acetic acid + ethanol). Anyone know if
this staining method is compatible with Davidson's fixative?

Would this eosin-Y solution be suitable:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/ht110316?lang=en&region=US
 for preparing the Eosin-Y Azure-II working solution?

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade
Orange City, Iowa