[Histonet] Automated IHC instrument

Manfre, Philip philip_manfre at merck.com
Wed May 4 12:09:54 CDT 2016

Valerie,
	We have 4 DAKOs.  They are work-horses and are a very "open" platform.  You can use all of your own reagents, nothing proprietary if you choose.  This makes them good for research and optimizing your own protocols.  They are also very consistent and reliable for conducting the same protocol repeatedly.  Much cheaper to own and operate than a Ventana.  This is not a slam on Ventana.
	Ventana strainers are quite amazing but way more expensive than a DAKO.  The Ventana is partially open, or not open, depending on how you look at it.  You can force it to use some of your own reagents but you always rely somewhat on Ventana reagents.  These stainers are mostly designed to run the same set of protocols over and over again, consistently (e.g. hospital).  They are also useful when used by technicians who want to "set it and forget it".  If someone doesn't really know IHC, and the troubleshooting involved sometimes, then this is the unit for you if you can afford it.  There is also the high pressure sales team that accompanies any interest in Ventana units.  Don't underestimate their tenacity, especially if you agree to have a trial machine placed in your lab for testing.  They will not want to remove it - an assumed sale, if you will.
	I am not on the payroll for anyone but Merck, lest anyone think I am trying to influence a sale one way or another.  These are my personal experiences and opinions that I hope you will find useful.

Phil.

Philip Manfre, B.A., HT (ASCP)
Associate Principal Scientist
Merck Research Laboratories