[Histonet] IHC positive controls

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Mon May 2 13:47:08 CDT 2016

Cynthia, best practice is to keep in the block and cut as needed. Second is to cut and dry at room temp and not melt, then store. Don't cut, melt and store. The issue is oxidation. Keeping in paraffin prevents oxidation. You'll protect the antigens better if they  are fully isolated from air, which paraffin does, but once cut, they are exposed. That happens in the fridge as well and I'm not sure refrigeration helps much. I'm guessing that you don't do a lot of these, so you don't want to cut a lot of slide and have them sitting around for months waiting for use.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center