[Histonet] Porcessing FFPE tissue without alcohol??

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 25 13:30:27 CDT 2016

Fix the tissue in Formalin, wash well in dw, then place very small pieces into Osmium tetroxide solution ( std soln for TEM post-fixation)
Processing to Pwax as usual.
Basically, you will see lipids as black ( oxidised osmium)
That's the only way to demonstrate solvent- soluble lipids, using Pwax processing.
Sure, there are caveats but, in the main...it will be Ok, imho.
I invite comments as I may be doing exactly this very soon, to count myelinated nerve fibres in a sciatic nerve.

Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager
Wolfson CARD
Guys Campus, London Bridge