[Histonet] How to get your stains more vibrant when cutting at 2μm?

Angela Lamberth alamberth at lji.org
Thu Jun 30 12:41:38 CDT 2016

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I'm going to play around with
a progressive H&E when I return from vacation next month. I do have
safranin on hand but will need to order some phloxine to experiment with. I
will probably need to order some additional supplies to make the
hematoxylin. I'm not sure yet if I'll start with Mayer's or Gill's or maybe
even Erlich's.

I should note that cutting at 2 isn't required, but it is desired once they
saw that I can. And since I can, I aim to please! :-)

In addition, I'm looking forward to trying the oven dry method before
coverslipping. A rapid dehydration isn't really possible since I'm working
with a xylene substitute (Pro-Par) and have been battling eosin carryover
but that is a whole different animal for another thread.

Thanks again! I'll report back in a month or 2.