[Histonet] Bouins for testicular biopsies

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:30:04 CDT 2016

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD in Hartford CT asks:

>>What are people fixing testicular biopsies in to evaluate infertility? In
the past, I believe fixatives such as Zenker's and Bouin's were used for
this purpose since they enhance nuclear detail. Obviously, those fixatives
can no longer be used.<<

I don't think Bouin's fixative has been entirely banned, but it's a
nuisance - the picric acid stains almost anything it gets spilled on, and
there are the regulatory issues.

I've had acceptable results with strongly acid fixatives, mostly with
Davidson's fixative (3 parts water, 3 parts reagent alcohol, 2 parts 37%
formaldehyde, 1 part glacial acetic acid).

I'd want to try it out on a non-critical specimen - either orchiectomy
tissue or animal material - before inflicting it on a real patient. I
suppose a spay-neuter clinic could help.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN