[Histonet] Bouins for testicular biopsies

Gayle Callis gayle.callis at bresnan.net
Wed Jun 29 12:05:05 CDT 2016

Richard,

You wrote:  What are people fixing testicular biopsies in to evaluate
infertility?  In the past, I believe fixatives such as Zenker's and Bouin's
were used for this purpose since they enhance nuclear detail.  Obviously,
those fixatives can no longer be used.  Thank you.

I don't think Bouin's is forbidden in laboratories and we certainly used it
routinely for the Masson Trichrome connective tissue stain.  The problem is
having stock Picric Acid in crystal form, now frowned upon by chemical
safety people and eliminated from shelves these days.   I had no problem
storing stock picric acid under a layer of water and keeping crystals from
outside edges of lid.    Zenkers is obviously not used due to mercury
content.

Bouin's is still used for Masson's Trichrome staining and can be purchased
ready-made from Sigma, Fisher and elsewhere.   The key would be to use it to
fix testicular biopsies, with no more than 72 hour fixation.   Be careful to
wipe any drips from around lids where picric acid crystals form, collect and
dispose of this fixative per your lab's regulations.

There is a B-5 substitute, sold by BBC,  which may do the job just as well.
This B-5 substitute is known to work well for bone marrow biopsies where
good nuclear detail is important, and may be a good option.  If your techs
are using Bouins for Massons Trichrome connective tissue staining, you could
get a small container for the biopsy.

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)