[Histonet] warthin-starry stain

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald at mtsac.edu
Thu Jun 16 13:06:29 CDT 2016

are you doing a microwave method or traditional?

From:   Jeff Halstead via Histonet <histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
To:     "histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
<histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date:   06/16/2016 10:17 AM
Subject:        [Histonet] warthin-starry stain

Hello histonet---I am a tech in western Oregon, and I have been
experiencing strange problems with the afore mentioned stain. When the
stain is run a very strange grey precipitate deposits upon the slides. The
deposition is not uniform across the slides and varies from slide to slide
within the run. I use bleach washed slides and all glassware is also
bleach washed. The slides I am using are non charged with only frosted
top. The last two runs I used reagents from just opened bottles. No meatal
contacts the slides or the glassware used to assimilate the reagents. As I
said---what gives. To say I am perplexed is understating my mood. I have
even tried washing the slides in the hot water bath to no improvement. My
path has a list of cases to run and is a bit anxious. Please help. Anyone
with any ideas ? one step I did not mention-I bleach wash the slides-wash
in di water-soak in 100% ethanol-then air dry and cover. Also thought I
might mention I de-wax the pookers from 30 minut
 es to 45 minutes. Thanx for the time   jeff