[Histonet] warthin-starry stain

Jeff Halstead halsteaj at ohsu.edu
Thu Jun 16 12:14:21 CDT 2016

Hello histonet---I am a tech in western Oregon, and I have been experiencing strange problems with the afore mentioned stain. When the stain is run a very strange grey precipitate deposits upon the slides. The deposition is not uniform across the slides and varies from slide to slide within the run. I use bleach washed slides and all glassware is also bleach washed. The slides I am using are non charged with only frosted top. The last two runs I used reagents from just opened bottles. No meatal contacts the slides or the glassware used to assimilate the reagents. As I said---what gives. To say I am perplexed is understating my mood. I have even tried washing the slides in the hot water bath to no improvement. My path has a list of cases to run and is a bit anxious. Please help. Anyone with any ideas ? one step I did not mention-I bleach wash the slides-wash in di water-soak in 100% ethanol-then air dry and cover. Also thought I might mention I de-wax the pookers from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Thanx for the time   jeff