[Histonet] Distilled Water vs DI water for IHC and H&E staining

Wheelock, Timothy R. twheelock at mclean.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 28 08:25:43 CDT 2016

Hi Charles:

Many years ago I was using deionized water to do the Bielschowsky silver stain.
The stains were coming out way too dark, with black-brown precipitate on the sections.
When I inherited a double-distilled water filtration system, that problem disappeared.
However, silver stains tend to be sensitive to all sorts of things.
I don't know if the same holds true for immunostains, since I don't do them myself (another lab does them for us).
When I do my Luxol Fast Blue (myelin)-Hematoxylin-Eosin stain, I just use tap water or all my washes.
I make my solutions for the stain with double-distilled water, but I am not sure if that is necessary.
I hope that this helps.

Tim

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center