[Histonet] block scrapers

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Fri Jul 22 10:29:58 CDT 2016

Sakura has purpose-made scrapes. Otherwise you can use plastic scrapers from  a hardware store.

However, we moved away from scrapers and now use a heating block trimmer made for the purpose. Several vendors offer these.

http://www.newcomersupply.com/product/paraffin-wax-trimmer

We do all block trimming at a central location so it does not need to be done at the microtome.

It is very quick and does not damage the print on the block. That is especially important for barcoded blocks.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center