[Histonet] dye in processor

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:11:08 CDT 2016

Jeff Halstead at Oregon Health & Science University asks:

"Some time ago info on the list discussed placing eosin or other dyes in
the processor and I was wondering what everyone is actually using. Heard
safranin o was a good idea . any thoughts?"

Safranin O - the solution your microbiology people use for Gram staining
works quite well - can be used to mark small pieces of tissue before
processing. It stains more densely than eosin, and unlike eosin it isn't
fluorescent. I worked in a lab that used this quite successfully. They
placed the small specimens on those blue pads before marking them with a
drop of dye, processing through xylene (or aliphatic substitute - I don't
remember) on a truly ancient Fisher processor. Both they and I liked the
results.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN