[Histonet] mouse femur decal and paraffin embedding protocol

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Mon Jan 11 12:07:44 CST 2016

James

We use 10% Formic Acid to decal mouse femur and tibia -  The rear legs are removed at the hip with a pair of rongeurs  the skin is removed to the ankle, we allow the knee joints to fix for 48 hours, they need to be in a normal degree of flexion, meaning you want them in a container that does  not bend the knee.  We trim off the muscle  and place in decal for overnight - process the next day on an hour processing cycle.  You don't need microwave for mouse knees they decal quickly.  Most of the work we do is for cartilage degeneration, rheumatoid or osteoarthritis, if you are looking at bone marrow I would modify slightly.  I can send a work instruction document that has more information in another e-mail if you are interested.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308