[Histonet] DAB IHC with H & E staining

David Wright dw18 at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 6 15:15:49 CST 2016

Hi Histonet, Marcus and Liz

I agree with everything Liz says about precipitated DAB being wonderfully robust so that you can do a whole range of stains successfully after using it.

I am slightly puzzled that Marcus wants to reveal RBCs after a DAB reaction. Doesn't it just happen any way? Haem/hemoglobin provides a powerful non-specific peroxidase (the frothing you get with peroxide on dried blood) which will also precipitate DAB in the RBCs - I see it whenever I don't fully perfuse my brains. If you're not seeing this currently, and you are sure there are RBCs present, it might simply suffice to ease up on whatever procedure you use to "kill' endogenous peroxidases before your Ab incubations, so that the haem can go to work on the DAB.

Note that if you happen to use thick sections for floating immuno, you really don't want to use eosin. There is so much material that everything is red. (There is a similar 'too much' problem with using solochrome cyanine on thick sections for myelin...)

best to all - David
==
David A. Wright, Ph.D.
University of Chicago
Section of Neurosurgery, MC3026
ORIGINAL MESSAGES
Histonet Digest, Vol 146, Issue 4 Message: 7