[Histonet] H&E staining

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 29 08:27:25 CST 2016

Usually inconsistency in H&E staining has two different sources: either the staining process itself, or the previous tissue processing sequence.Your staining protocol has a "standard" sequence but I would add an additional xylene and would increase the time in hemtoxylin to 7 minutes for you will differentiate ant way with the clarifier. Are you staining manually? If so the time in the clarifier should not be standard, the stained sections should remain in it until no more color leaches from the sections and should be as short as possible. Most likely your staining problems resides in the "clarifier" step and when the sections are of the "right" tissue type and the "right" thickness the staining is OK, but when they are either too thin or of tissues with less amounts of nuclei, the staining is faint.
In any even, I strongly suggest you to change your whole protocol and eliminate xylene and alcohols in the dewaxing step, and switch to a 2% aq. sol. of dishwashing soap at 90ºC (2 stations x 2 min. each) → hot distilled water (90ºC x 1 → 45ºC x 1 min) → dist. water at room temp. which will allow you not only eliminating xylene but also  finish the whole procedure sooner and much cheaper.Try it!

René