[Histonet] question - Allergy to histological solvents?

daniel blackburn dblackburn2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 13:44:32 CST 2016

Hello

After decades of using standard organic solvents for paraffin- section histology, I find that I've become highly allergic to the fumes.  These include commercial preps like Citrosolv and Hemo-De, as well as xylene and toluene, which cause (in me) dizziness and a pounding headache.  This problem has made staining and coverslipping very difficult, even with  hood.   Can anyone recommend alternative solutions for (a) dewaxing prior to staining and (b) coverslipping?  thanks very much!

Daniel Blackburn
Biology, Trinity College (Hartford CT)