[Histonet] Letters of Recommendation for NSH Awards

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Wed Feb 10 14:09:48 CST 2016

Hello Everyone

I have decided to post this since I have received some e-mails back regarding the awards process.  I have listed below my thoughts on Letters of Recommendation.

Tips to Writing an Excellent Letter of Recommendation

The Awards Committee has to sift through multiple nominations in order to choose the appropriate person for a particular award or scholarship.  We receive the persons CV (if they choose to submit, it's not required for some of the awards/scholarships, but I would suggest that if you have one you should submit it with the application) some info on the nominee,  but what really makes one individual stand out from the rest?  It's their letters of recommendations, so here are a few tips:

1.       Get focused - understand what award or scholarship you are nominating them for and focus in on the description and criteria listed on the NSH website.

2.       Get personal - what has that person accomplished?  Don't generalize, we don't just want to know that they are a great histotech, we know that, that's why they have been nominated we want to hear WHAT makes them a great histotech, tell us what they have done, give us some examples, what makes this person stand out amongst others, the more personal the better.

3.       Get multiple people to write letters - everyone has different experiences and different viewpoints.  Bottom line the more information the better.

4.       And last of all - Get busy and nominate!!!  The deadline for nominations is June 1st. http://www.nsh.org/content/nsh-awards-and-scholarships
Thanks

Liz - NSH Awards Chair

Premier Laboratory, LLC