[Histonet] Staining issues

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Dec 28 16:56:49 CST 2016

Hi Charles,

Many issues could be in play.
Since the centre of the tissue is causing problems, then I would look at fixation; are the spaces around cells in the centre of the block wider than at the edges (conversely do the cells look like they are smaller than their counterparts at the edge)?

If part of this tissue is lightly fixed, they seem to be more prone to heating effects. If the haematoxylin is paler (washed-out?) in the centre then it is possible that the slides have been heated above 70oC before H&E staining. This will also affect the IPX's. Maybe the oven is over-heating.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA