[Histonet] Weak Hematoxylin Staining?

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Mon Dec 5 16:52:54 CST 2016

Vivian,

After cutting the frozen sections, how are you fixing them?

If they are air-dried then they will tend to give a washed out nuclear stain.
I would suggest immediate fixation of the sections in either methanol or to make even a brighter H&E: 1% acetic acid in ethanol (1ml glacial acetic acid + 99ml absolute ethanol), about 1 minute should suffice for both fixations.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA