[Histonet] Weak Hematoxylin Staining?

Vivian Hou houv2 at uw.edu
Mon Dec 5 14:58:22 CST 2016

Dear all,

We are doing some immunofluorescent stains that we want to pair with H&E
slides. We are using fresh frozen sections for both (unfixed tissue, human
diseased coronary arteries) but I am seeing very weak hematoxylin staining
to the point where I have to dial back the eosin (3 min hematoxylin, 1 dip
eosin).

I am using Gills 2 (newly purchased), I know its not necessary to filter it
but we have been just in case using Whatman no. 5 filters. No
differentiation due to the weak staining right now.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why the staining might be so weak, we do
a great deal of processing and imaging on the arteries (about 12 hrs @ 25C)
prior to histo and I wonder if this has cause the tissue to decay?

Thank you for your time,