[Histonet] Eosin

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald at mtsac.edu
Tue Aug 30 13:09:00 CDT 2016

Elizabeth,
You can try to lower the pH of the eosin a bit.  Add some acetic acid. Use
absolute alcohol after the eosin for differentiating/dehydrating.
Jennifer

From:   "Cameron, Elizabeth via Histonet"
<histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
To:     "histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
<histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date:   08/30/2016 07:29 AM
Subject:        [Histonet] Eosin

Hi,
I have been staining fish tissues fixed in Davidsons with H&E, and the
researcher would like the eosin to be more intense.  Our standard protocol
works well for our own tissue, but the fish look much more washed out.  I
am using alcoholic eosin Y, have tried both water and alcohol before and I
have varied the alcohol differentiation steps after the Eosin.  I also
extended the time in Eosin and increased the wash after bluing to make
sure the sections are not basic.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Elizabeth M. Cameron, HT(ASCP), QIHCCM
Lead Histologist
Mid Coast Hospital