[Histonet] Gallocyanin - protocol

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Fri Aug 19 09:24:06 CDT 2016

We used the stain to stain nissl substance in mouse lumbar spine.

Purchased the dye from sigma - below is from the SDS Sheet

Product name : Gallocyanine
Product Number : 124508
Brand : Sigma-Aldrich
CAS-No. : 1562-85-2

The procedure in Bancroft-Gamble uses Chrom Alum - which is chromium potassium sulfate as the mordant

Chrom Alum - 5 gm
dH20 - 100 ml
Gallocyanine - 50 mg

The chrome alum is dissolved in the distilled water, the gallocyanine is added and the solution slowly heated until it boils.  Boil for 5 minutes. Cool to room temp adjust the volume back to 100 ml.  Filter before use

The stain is easy - place in staining solution for 18-48 hours, rinse in water, dehydrate, clear and mount.   B&G states results are blue but If I remember correctly it turned out to be a bluish grey in color.  I tried to see if I had any images but I could not find any, we did this back in 2006 so it was some time ago.

If you search the histonet archives there is an older post of mine looking for some help on this stain, there is a nice response back from Dr. Kiernan explaining a bit more about the dye and staining.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308