[Histonet] Pathology Ladder System

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 9 11:10:27 CDT 2016

Our career ladder at UCSF

HLT 1 thru 4 (Hospital Laboratory Technician) for non-histology positions. HLT-1 is entry level, could be out of high school. To move up requires more education. HLT-2 AA to BA/BA, HLT-3, -4, BA/BS used as accessioners, basic lab techs in grossing and cytology, running stainers, changing tissue processors in histology, etc. HLT-1,-2 are bench techs. HLT-3 is a Senior tech, HLT-4 is a Lead tech. HLT-3 and -4 can be trained for grossing. They can actually work their way thru to minor grossing with the right qualifications. If trained for histotechnology or more advanced grossing ie, PA-level) we promote them to the Histotechnologist series.

HT 1 thru 4 (Histotechnologist). Traditional histology lab techs as well as on-the-job trained Pathologist's Assistants (HT-3,-4 only). HT-1,2 are the basic bench techs, HT-3, is Senior tech, HT-4 is Lead tech. Only HT-4 and Supervisor requires ASCP certification for histology work (not grossing work), but  is "preferred" at the other levels. So far all our histotechs are ASCP certified HT or HTL.  None of the OJT PA's are certified (though they could work for it if they desired). We do have an advantage of a large research population to draw techs from so all come to us with good educational background and have learned some histology in a research lab.

These are all union positions and each classification (i.e HT-1 or HT-2) has 12 annual steps (controlled by the union, not administration) before maxing out in pay. At that point they reach a ceiling and can only move up by going to the next up classification. We usually require 5 years in one step  before reclassifying unless the person is exceptional. As a manager I can only reclassify; I cannot move someone up a step as a reward for good work.

This works out pretty well for advancement but we have a fairly large organization - 12 histotechs and 2 HLT in the histo lab; 4 HLT in cyto lab; 4 certifed PA's; 4 OJT PA's plus 5 HLT accessioners - moving up or to other positions within the department is possible.  Several of our accessioners have moved up to Histotech positions, and one OJT PA went to PA school and came back to work for us. Another HLT accessioner is applying to PA school.

We also now hire only certified PA's, and try  to hire program-trained PA's. the competition for that is tough and for recent positions we have essentially opened it to any certified PA.

Cyto uses the HLT series for lab work and has another Cytotechnologist series for cytotechs, same idea of level 1-4.

At the top of each lab is the supervisor in each discipline, one for cytology, histology, grossing and administration.

The usual problem in Histo labs is that people stay a long time and so block others from moving up, so even if a career ladder is in place advancement is difficult. Unless the department expands the opportunities to advance are limited in many labs.

I histology we have had quite a lot of turnover the last 5 years because we had a 4 histotechs retire within a couple years so some advanced and some new techs came in. We also opened a couple new jobs. So we now have a fairly young lab with a lot of very good techs.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center