[Histonet] Validating IHC on decalcified specimens

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Tue Apr 5 15:02:53 CDT 2016

Teri

We have a spot on all of our IHC SOP's that will state if the antibody has been tested on decalcified samples.   We do not routinely add decalcified tissue to our routine IHC protocol development runs, so for example if the target is a soft tissue target we will develop on a variety of soft tissues that express different  staining intensities.  If the target is expressed in bone and decalcified bone is the target tissue we will work with both decalcified and soft tissue during the development process.    If we are taking a previously soft tissue antibody and testing it in bone or a sample that has been decalcified then that information is added to our internal tracking documents and then the SOP as a revision, we follow the same protocol if we are testing on another species that we have not previously stained for.

I can give you an example of the last scenario.  We are frequently requested to run GFAP IHC sometimes the samples are routinely fixed on other occasions the skull has been left intact and the sample decaled, we initially developed and verified on soft tissue but later added to the verification that the antibody was tested on decaled samples and we would list the decalcification method/s tested in the SOP.  I'll send off examples of both our GLP and non-GLP IHC protocols in a different e-mail.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308