[Histonet] Fungus contamination on AFB slides

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Sep 23 22:13:17 CDT 2015

Hi Allison,
You probably need to track down the source of the Candida.
I would suggest you cytocentrifuge each solution, air-dry the cytospin slides and stain with a giemsa.
Most fungi (esp candida) will show up.
See:

Henwood A (2013) "Fungal Contamination of Hanks Solution" Diagnostic Cytopathology 41(5):453-455

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA