[Histonet] Non-Gyn contamination

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Sat Sep 12 12:47:09 CDT 2015

Hi Nancy -
Here is what our lab does.
All preps (slides)are fixed in individual containers before being batch stained.
We stain smears separately from FNAs, and smears and FNAs, separately by case. All fixed thin preps are stained together.
With smears or FNAs, we insert a clean slide (labeled as the case number and control) and stain it along with the
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874

 batch.  That slide is examined and if found to have any contaminent from the case, then that triggers a filtration of all reagents and stains, with the container's washed.  It is then noted on the stain QC.
So far, this has worked very well for us, and our CAP inspectors liked the process and documentation.
Regards, Terri

2. PAP stains done by hand (Nancy Schmitt)
Message: 2
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:12:29 +0000
From: Nancy Schmitt <Nancy_Schmitt at pa-ucl.com>
Happy Friday-

Could you please share how you are handling the potential for cross contamination in non-gyn pap specimens?  Are you filtering/changing out solutions between each case?

I appreciate your input-
Nancy
Histology Coordinator
Dubuque, IA  52001