[Histonet] Labeling formats

Hannen, Valerie Valerie.Hannen at parrishmed.com
Wed Oct 7 09:39:25 CDT 2015

Thank you so much for the article Sue.

After reading the article, I have determined that I will NOT be changing our labeling format (yr-prefix-accession number-part (alpha)-block number, as the article stated that there was inadequate evidence to support a specific labeling format.

 I however will be adding the 2nd identifier to our blocks and to the hand-written slides (prior to application of paper label, which has all the required information) beginning in 2016.

 If we have a specimen that has been prepared (ex. FNA slides) by our personnel away from the accessioning area, we already include the 2 identifiers on the slides.

We also already add the special stain name to the slides and labels.

Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Valerie

Valerie Hannen,MLT(ASCP),HTL,SU (FL)
Section Chief, Histology