[Histonet] DIF on paraffin embedded tissue

Teri Johnson tejohnson at genoptix.com
Wed Nov 25 12:29:59 CST 2015

Maryann,

Whoa, bad day. I'm sorry for you and for the patient.

As for whether the testing usually performed in frozen section by Direct ImmunoFluorescence can be successfully done on FFPE, Liz Chlipala is probably the closest to answering this. This was likely a kidney or skin biopsy. The panel is likely something like IgG, IgA, IgM, C3, Fibrinogen and maybe another marker or so.

Can it be done? I would say not with any degree of confidence unless this was extensively tested side-by-side with frozen vs paraffin embedded tissues. The IHC stain techniques would be radically different. This would take a lot of time.

Now, if you were successful in providing these assays that you have validated in your laboratory (I shudder to think what that would entail), would the pathologist be comfortable signing out a case such as this? Would the clinician be comfortable treating the patient based on these results?

Teri Johnson
Manager, Clinical Trial Testing
Genoptix, Inc., a Novartis company
BioPharma
1811 Aston Avenue
Carlsbad, CA  92008
USA

Phone +1 760 516 5954
tejohnson at genoptix.com<mailto:tejohnson at genoptix.com>
www.genoptix.com<http://www.genoptix.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is confidential and proprietary to Genoptix Medical Laboratory or its subsidiaries. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.