[Histonet] DIF on paraffin embedded tissue

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Wed Nov 25 10:53:18 CST 2015

I'm not sure that is the case in the grand scheme of things, it will depend upon the target that you need to stain via immunofluorescence.  Technically we perform IF staining on frozen sections primarily because the antigen does not survive formalin fixation.  Many people utilize IF techniques on FFPE tissue with good success, we have done it here.  There are things you will need to consider and what I suggest below may not work at all.  It's up to you if you want to try it or not and you may feel it is not worth the time and energy required to see if it may work on FFPE samples, it could be a lot of work and it may not be successful.

1.  You will likely not be able to use your current protocol
2.  You will likely need to add an antigen retrieval step
3.  You may need to look for a different antibody source (one that survives formalin fixation)
4.  The signal needs to be good since formalin fixation will cause autofluorescence

Unless I am completely missing something here since two individuals have stated that the sample is useless, maybe there is a better explanation as to why the sample is completely useless.  Here is where I am coming from - technically you can perform IF staining on FFPE tissue samples, people do it all of the time, we have done it here, it's a common technique for dual labeling of samples when co-localization is an expected result.

Good Luck

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592