[Histonet] IHC hand staining

Hughes, Anna [JRDUS] ahughes8 at ITS.JNJ.com
Fri Nov 6 12:50:33 CST 2015

Hi!
I have done a lot of manual staining in the past....a simple protocol is below:  Any of the Dako kits are wonderful...as are the Biocare

1. Depar slides as usual
2.Place slides in DPBS (no mag or calcium) 2x 5 minutes
3. Antigen retrieval if necessary - will have to look at the insert for your primary antibody.
4. Block Peroxidases for 10 minutes with 3% H2O2
5. Wash using DPBS 2x 5minutes
6. Protein block - 30 minutes using 5% normal serum of the host of your secondary antibody
7.Wash using DPBS 2x 5 minutes
8. Place slides in your primary antibody (I usually use 200-300ul/slide depending on tissue size and cover with a small piece of parafilm).  Incubate in a humidity box at RT on the bench for 1 hour
9. Wash using DPBS 2x5 minutes
10. Place slides in a biotinylated secondary antibody (incubate same as primary above)- for 20 minutes
11. Wash using DPBS 2x5 mintues
12. Use a DAB detection kit such as the DAKO Envision kit - follow their directions in the kit. (These come as mouse,rabbit, rat...... so if you buy the kit as a whole, it comes with the biotinylated secondary (goat host) - already diluted and ready to use)
13. Wash 2x dH2O
14. Counterstain with Hematoxylin for 5 minutes
15. Wash with dH2O 2x 5 minutes
16. Blue slides  -this will depend on your hematoxylin
17. Wash with dH2O 2x5minutes
18. Dehydrate through alcohols to xylene and coverslip.

Hope this is helpful!
Anna Hughes