[Histonet] Aqueous Mounting Media

Keyser Gerald T GKeyser at uwhealth.org
Wed Nov 4 08:08:41 CST 2015

Currently my lab is using Aqua-mount (Lerner Laboratories). I'm looking at replacing it with a different Aqueous mounting media. The only stain we use it for is Oil Red O.

I've tried many different variations on its use and the results have been the same.

1)      The slide looks lovely the day that the coverslip is mounted and then dozens of bubbles form after. Sealing does not make a difference. Following company recommended procedure doesn't make a difference. Getting creative doesn't make a difference. Nothing seems to make a difference.

2)      We use a non-aqueous media surrounding the aqueous and post-coverslip the slide. This option is messy and cannot be re-coverslipped (for obvious reasons) if there is an air bubble. I'm sure that this wouldn't work at all with a more delicate stain.

Ok. I give up. Can anyone make a recommendation for a different aqueous mounting media?

Gerry