[Histonet] Solvent recycling

Wheelock, Timothy R. twheelock at mclean.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 2 15:05:32 CST 2015

Hi Everyone:

My hospital recently has been looking into recycling solvents.
Our department alone does not have the volume to justify such an expense.
However, there are many research labs on the campus that produce varying (probably small) quantities of solvent.
They have asked me to look into the issue.

When I was working in a large surgical histology lab many years ago, we never had any solvent recycling, so please forgive my basic questions.

When I contemplate this issue, many issues arise:

How big would the apparatus be (I am assuming they come in different sizes)?
How much do they cost?
Where would it have to be located?
Do different solvents require different recycling machines?
Who would be responsible for the machine?
If it were a shared instrument, it may increase the likelihood of malfunctions.
How much preventative maintenance does it require?
I am assuming that training would be needed for all users.
How comfortable would we and researchers be in using recycled solvents, as opposed to just buying new reagents each time?

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on this issue.

Thanks you so much

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
McLean Hospital