[Histonet] Job openings and no candidates

Jon Krupp jkrupp at deltacollege.edu
Fri May 15 11:31:56 CDT 2015

I have been following this and would like to ask a few questions.

I am part of a community college electron microscope training program. We teach the fundamentals of both biological and materials EM, both SEM and TEM.

Our biological students learn plastic sectioning for LM and EM. They do not learn much paraffin technique, but the ones I have shown have caught on quickly.

They have all been exposed to fixation, dehydration, and embedding in plastic. They all know how to work safely in a lab.

Most finish with an associates degree in general science, so they all have basic chemistry, biology, etc. They do not have anything like a real histology course.

While our materials students seem to find jobs, especially in nearby computer firms like Intel, IBM, Western Digital etc., our bio students have a harder time.

Some have asked about histology, I show them the ASCP rules and they get discouraged, thinking they will never find a place to get in that year of OJT.

There are few NACCLS programs in our area, and some of the course work in such a program would be redundant for our students.

What is the likelihood that some of my students would qualify for OJT in a histology lab, and how can I alert them to the possibilities?

Jon

Jonathan Krupp
Applied Science, Business & Technology
San Joaquin Delta College