[Histonet] Job openings and no candidates

Teri Johnson tejohnson at genoptix.com
Fri May 15 11:07:32 CDT 2015

Happy Friday!

Ideally when there is a job opening we can attract a well-trained certified HT or HTL and life is good. But that doesn't happen often, and actually was the exact reason I got a chance to train OTJ back in the early 80s. So, very little has changed indeed.

In response to the recent emails lamenting the lack of qualified candidates for current open positions, I think we need to be a bit more creative in how we recruit people. We already know that nobody knows we exist, and even though there some schools in the US specifically devoted to histology training, we don't seem to be making headway.

There is a group of individuals already out there that we may be able to tap into. Both already have associate degrees and technical laboratory background. Veterinary Medical Technicans and Medical Laboratory Technicians may be ripe for the plucking. Career advancement and professional development would be a great carrot for them I think without the need to get a bachelor's degree unless they wanted to. The background is at least a little more in line with the overseas Laboratory Scientist positions, and anyone who is a VMT, MLT, or MT  and also a histology professional can tell you the extra knowledge comes in handy in real life.

So, why not also find schools that have these programs and throw job openings up on their bulletin board? We may not get many nibbles, but some is better than none.

Teri Johnson
Manager, Clinical Trial Testing
Genoptix, Inc., a Novartis company
BioPharma
1811 Aston Avenue
Carlsbad, CA  92008
USA

Phone +1 760 516 5954
tejohnson at genoptix.com<mailto:tejohnson at genoptix.com>
www.genoptix.com<http://www.genoptix.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is confidential and proprietary to Genoptix Medical Laboratory or its subsidiaries. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.