[Histonet] H&E Stainer Question

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac at outlook.com
Tue May 12 19:10:46 CDT 2015

Look at all the automated H&E stain instruments on the market. I suggest that you consider those that offer the best benefit to your workload and workflow. Instruments that utilize the concept of co-location (related tasks linked together; oven fro drying, flexible stain configuration and Coverslipping) will assist you in developing a LEAN workflow. Consider how many times you need to touch the slides to complete all the tasks and how much walk away time you gain.

I do not suggest by-passing the validated staining instrument oven. Placing slides in another oven creates variation and often results in short and extended drying times. All automated H&E stain instruments should be used according to manufacturer recommendation. My experience is that when shortcuts are used, quality suffers. The automated H&E stain instruments have great through put and you should adjust workflow to maximize the designated batch size and stain time.

Film coverslip lasts longer than 7 years. Sakura  film is the best and has testing to exceed 10 years. I have used it for 13 years and never had the film peel. If you use the knock off film products, they only have short term accelerated stability testing and probably do not have any version of their many changes to the emulsion that have real time stability testing to exceed 10 years. There are reasons to use glass and reasons to use film. Both are great products, when you use them correctly and purchase quality products. Glass automated cover slip options on instruments do have more required maintenance than film.

CAP has made no statement about film cover slipping. In fact, the Hologic (was Cytech) Cytology Thinprep system is FDA approved with film as the cover slip and the stained and film cover slipped Thinprep slide is digitally scanned for analysis. To be CAP compliant, you must keep blocks and slides for 10 years. With the advancement of cancer hospital protocols and molecular testing, many institutions are considering retaining blocks and slides beyond 10 years. Keeping blocks and slides longer than regulation requires introduces a large risk factor for the retaining institution and pathologists.

Always be forward thinking when considering the purchase of a new essential instrument. Will it bar code read, can it be interfaced to LIS or tracking system, what analytics can be extract and will the instrument help or hinder a LEAN workflow? There are many choices that will meet your basic needs, but which one meets your essential needs?

William DeSalvo, BS HTL(ASCP)