[Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu
Wed Mar 25 11:09:16 CDT 2015

Tom, no we don't have a program here. In fact the only one on the west coast is in southern California (we did try to work with the SF city college to start a program but their funding fell through). Another local college is trying to start a course and I'm getting involved with that. For the time being we just try to find the best candidates we can.  I sent a much longer response to histonet, but generally histotechs are, as you well know,  a grab bag of various levels of training and knowledge. Only one in our lab has a BS degree in Histotechnology (from Ohio).  Nothing against histotechs at all, as I am an OJT histotech but formally -rained EM tech. People do the best they can with their limited exposure to the field. In my long experience in the several  labs I have worked in,  I have only seen a few that have risen to the level of a med tech. NSH meetings are a different story - mostly people who have taken the time and made the extraordinary effort to educate themselves to a high level.

While working oversees my eyes were opened to what other techs in other countries do to educate and supply histotechs. The US is way, way at the low end of the scale in that regard. Most other countries have degreed or technical programs specifically for lab techs of all kinds. In most countries Histotechnology is a specialty of Medical Technology and only done after a full med tech degree is earned - another year of school for the specialization. I really can't look at the situation in the US and say it is ok after seeing what goes on elsewhere.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Podawiltz, Thomas [mailto:tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:19 AM
To: Morken, Timothy; Jennifer MacDonald; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Tim for a Pathology Manager you seem to have a low opinion of the education and training of the Histo Techs that work for you. Is your training program accredited with one of the Histology schools or is your staff left to rend for themselves?

By the way, the lab that I work at basis the starting salaries on your degree first, then specialty so MT, HT/HTL with BS degrees earn the same.

Tom