[Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Wed Mar 25 10:56:33 CDT 2015

My abbreviated story: I went to college right out of high school...class of '74. During my sophomore year I spoke with my advisor and explained how much I loved biology/science....but did not want to be a nurse. She mentioned the lab sciences and had me visit a major hospital a couple hours away from where I was attending college to check things out.

I saw chemistry, hematology, micro, blood banking, cytology and histology. I saw histology last and fell in love and knew instantly. I went back to my advisor and told her and she explained I didn't need a Bachelor's for that program so I decided to complete my sophomore and begin my year-long training. MANY years later I went back and finished my degree but I chose histology over many other options. I have not regretted it.

Jeanine Sanders
CDC Atlanta

And for the record, I worked with Tim for years and he is an amazing histotech!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:41 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

Tom, I think every histotech does the best they can with the limited resources available. I don't blame anyone for lack of knowledge or skill  due to their OJT because  I came through the OJT route as well, after getting degrees in physiology  and a two year certification in electron microscopy. I wound my way thru EM, histology, IHC and ended up working almost exclusively in IHC for many years and only recently came back to EM.  Luckily I initially worked for a pathologist who supported the education of his techs and wanted "supertechs" who could do everything in histology. We had a group in the lab who studied together for the HT and HTL and we all learned a lot. However, what we did was still informal and certainly not comprehensive. Later on I worked in Saudi Arabia and had the chance to work with many other histotechs from other countries. Believe me, even with my degree and HTL I was outclassed by those other techs knowledge due to their formal education in the field. I was the one asking questions or being taught things I had no idea about. Things that had never come up in my necessarily limited OJT.

But that is my point. The vast majority of histotechs fall into the field by accident, not by design, and whatever they learn is a circumstance of where they work, what that lab does and who is teaching them. I would never have thought of doing immunohistochemistry unless I had been hired to run an EM lab and, not having quite enough to keep me busy, been willing to help out in histology and learn everything there as well,  just at the time IHC was coming into the lab, and a medical director willing to both teach and bring in people from outside to teach us. Someone else working somewhere else may not have that level of support at all. Indeed, I have met histotechs who tell me their medical directors will not even sign an ASCP application form for them to sit for an exam because if they figure if the tech gets the certification they will leave for a better job somewhere else!

Compare that to a med tech who goes to college, finds out about  the field of Medical Technology and has an entire department built around educating them to that end, along with hospitals that will provide internships for further training. That is far, far beyond what 99% of histotechs in the US ever get, if they get any formal training at all.

Therefore, it is not reasonable to assume that just because someone learns a skill on the job and passes a basic test that they are equal in every way to someone with formal education, internships and good support throughout their education and training. It is only the very rare histotech who goes above and beyond the normal requirements of the job that achieves anything close to what med techs get as a normal course of events. So, I really appreciate what all good histotechs achieve with the near total lack of support, doing everything on their own, mostly due to their own desire to do well in a profession they love.

Tim