[Histonet] Re: scale for weighing parathyroid glands

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:36:17 CDT 2015

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP), Cytology/Histology Manager at the Lexington
[Kentucky] Clinic asks?

>>Our surgeons are doing a lot of parathyroid glands for patients with
adenomas.  Our pathologist would like to weigh them. Our scale is not that
sensitive. Is anyone using a scale for this too and if so what brand?<<

You need a top-loading balance that will weigh in 10 milligram (.01 g)
increments, up to about 200 grams. Ohaus makes these for Fisher, and there
are other brands. About $500.

Weighing parathyroid adenomas is standard of care, as your pathologist
knows. Persuading the lab manager or assistant administrator is a different
problem.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN