[EXTERNAL] [Histonet] GMS controls?

McAnn, Sherrian Sherrian.McAnn <@t> va.gov
Wed Mar 18 11:57:36 CDT 2015

I have experimented on some things and found Blue Cheese to be excellent source of not only fungus but yeast and some bacteria.   I did make a couple of smears with the blue cheese but seemed to do much better after just routine processing some of the crumbles of blue cheese in cassettes.
Sincerely,
Sherrian McAnn

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Sicurello
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:51 PM
To: HistoNet
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Histonet] GMS controls?

Good Afternoon Netters,

I have a project to validate a special stainer and will be starting with GMS.  What can I use as a good source of fungus?  Was it last week there was mention of orange peels and onions?

I need to get the OK of the attending pathologist, so I probably can't use anything too funky, like fruits and vegetables.

I don't have access to fresh lung tissue to smear cream cheese on (also mentioned last week) so I was hoping some type of easy to buy processed food (like Slim Jims from Gram stain) is out there to be used as a fungal control.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Paula :-)