[Histonet] Embedding Question

Lucie Guernsey lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:08:20 CDT 2015

If I may, I'd like to piggy-back onto what Paula has mentioned regarding
allowing paraffin infiltrated tissue to cool before embedding it. Hopefully
someone can help both of us out, even if we seem to warm our infiltrated
tissue differently (Paula's in a dry bin and mine in a wax bath).

I work in a research lab where we work in large batches and time is not a
priority like it is in a clinical setting. Rather than leaving 60-80
cassettes of infiltrated tissue soaking in a hot wax bath for hours at a
time, we've begun to allow the cassettes to cool and just toss a handful of
cassettes into the wax bath 5-10 minutes before we're ready to embed that
batch of cassettes. Sometimes we don't even embed the cooled tissue until
the next day or later that week. I haven't noticed an obvious difference in
how our blocks section, though we have troublesome batches sometimes and we
haven't been able to put our finger on why.

Anyone know if allowing infiltrated tissue to cool and then reheat before
embedding is better or worse than keeping the tissue soaking in wax for
hours at a time?

Thanks!
Lucie

Lucie Guernsey