[Histonet] Re: Old slides

Martin, Erin Erin.Martin <@t> ucsf.edu
Thu Mar 12 10:03:26 CDT 2015

Hi Bernice!

A 1:1 acetone xylene solution does indeed dissolve the plastic film Sakura coverslip.  No need to buy any book.

The old - 1990's - film coverslips had a problem (that I believe Sakura has corrected) which caused the coverslip to lift off the slide and take the tissue with it.  That's why there are often issues with film coverslipped slides from that time period.  It's a pain to deal with but not difficult.

Good luck!

Erin Martin

UCSF Dermatopathology and Oral Pathology Service

Message: 5
>On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca<mailto:jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca> wrote:

>Have you done this? Acetone does not dissolve resinous mounting media and allow removal of coverslips. It's all >in the books; buy one.
>John Kiernan
>Anatomy & Cell Biology, UWO
>London, Canada

Confidentiality Notice
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or priviledged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.