[Histonet] Stain vs dye and control

Barry Rittman barryrittman <@t> gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 09:18:04 CDT 2015

There is always confusion about this.
In textile "coloring" the term dyeing is used and this first carried over
to histology as many of the textile dyes were the ones first used to stain
tissue components. Some of these were specific and some non specific.

In histology my understanding is that the dye is the powder, while the
stain is the solution used for staining the tissues. and in most cases
there is a certain amount of specificity in the reaction. Merely imparting
a non specific color all components of a tissue I would regard as coloring
as there is no specificity in this process.

This raised the interesting question of what would you call the process
whereby osmium tetroxide is used to fix and stain some fats?

To further complicate in the concrete industry the term dye is used to
indicate a general coloring of the concrete while the term stain  is used
to indicate a chemical reaction with the concrete components.
Barry