[Histonet] Masson trichrome and H and E

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Tue Mar 3 15:21:13 CST 2015

Hi Emily,

My $0. 02 by saying it's a challenge for research groups, like ours, to keep quality stains that are not used everyday/week/month.

I agree with your intuition.  Buy or make new eosin.

As for stocking eosin (or hematoxylin), I buy premade by a reputable vendor and always keep an eye on it getting weak or the dye adhering to the bottle.  Oxidation hurts H&E stains, so I never return used dye to the "New" bottle once I have used them (I get rather oblique requests too).  Alcohols are similar, as they always pull water out of the air, so my final dehydrating alcohols are always fresh.  Xylenes are less fussy.

For manual Masson trichrome, I use Newcomer Supply as I appreciate Marcia Walsh's humor, but most vendors are pretty good.  250 ml of aniline blue is $28.90.  Works great.  I don't know why your kit was $800, but I would guess it would be the phosphomolybdic/phoshotungstic acid.  Her Masson kit (blue) is rather high too at $294 for the 250 ml.

For me, aniline blue solution crashes first in the trichrome (other than the Weigerts).  Have you any desire to make solution from powder?  $27.10 for 25 g of certified dye?  Just wondering.  Shipping to my state adds $50-$100 to the price, so I think about stuff like this.

Hugh
Hawaii