[Histonet] ammonium bromide in fixative

Walters, Katherine S katherine-walters at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 11 13:47:07 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I am studying to take the HTL certification test and ran across a reference to Formalin Ammonium Bromide.  I see that it is very good for central nervous tissue fixation, it must be made fresh and that its pH is 1.5.  Does anyone happen to know the reason for ammonium bromide in this fixative?  I have been looking online and this has not been explained.

Also, has anyone taken this test lately?  I am curious as to how much old techniques, such as mercuric fixatives will be included?

Thank you,

Katherine S Walters
Histology Director

Central Microscopy Research Facility