[Histonet] Suggestions for staining ground substances in the Heart

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer at mdanderson.org
Thu Jul 2 09:57:04 CDT 2015

Kristie,
 For heart you could try the elastic Trichrome, it will stain the ground substances and is faster than the Movat.  If your ground substance is devoid of staining it could be the phosphotungstic acid.  Is it 5%, and fresh?  Are you using two changes at 5 min each?   Continue with the 4micron sections, and use fresh solutions.  If you can make the phosphotungstic yourself, do that.  Commercial solutions sometimes do not store well.
Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, D.H.Sc., MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center