[Histonet] Suggestions for staining ground substances in the Heart

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Thu Jul 2 00:49:40 CDT 2015

Movat's pentachrome is unnecessarily complicated when you want to look only at one component of a tissue.

Most "ground substance" (extracellular material between cells, collagen fibres etc) is weakly stainable with PAS, alcian blue pH2.5 or both. It's usual to stain with alcian blue first (Mowry's method). If you do the PAS first, the PAS-positive materials will also stain with alcian blue and be darker. For the reasons, see:

Johannes, M.-L. and Klessen, C. (1984). Alcian blue/PAS or PAS/alcian blue? Remarks on a classical technique used in carbohydrate histochemistry. Histochemistry 80:129-132.

Yamabayashi, S. (1987). Periodic acid-Schiff-alcian blue: a method for the differential staining of glycoproteins. Histochemical Journal 19:565-571.

Reid, P.E. and Owen, D.A. (1988). Some comments on the mechanism of the periodic acid-Schiff-Alcian blue method. Histochemical Journal 20:651-654.

If you can predict the PAS-AB effect without further reading, you already have a good understanding of how the traditional methods of carbohydrate histochemistry work!

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =