[Histonet] RE: Cassette Labeler

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Tue Jan 27 12:54:13 CST 2015

I think this post along with all the others illustrate a few points...

1.  There are many more alternatives available for slide and cassette printers than there were even just a few years ago.  I'd be curious if costs have come down.  Cassette labelers used to be 25,000 and slide printers (not labelers) were 5,000.
2.  Almost everyone likes what they currently have.  It's difficult to have real world experience with more than 1 version of these products.
3.  Just because one vendor's products work well in  one environment, does not mean the product will work well in yours.  Look at not only laboratory volumes, but timeframes in which those volumes were produced.
4.  As in the clinical laboratory, 'reagent cost' can be a factor.  Do you have to use certain slides or cassettes?   What are the costs?
5.  Also, 'as usual', every vendor can produce the isolated lemon.  How well does that company handle the issue?   What's their general level of customer support to begin with?

It's just interesting to note how far these items have come in the last few years.   I still wish they were cheaper though.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Krempley, Amanda L
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:40 AM
To: Blazek, Linda; Tony Auge; Helen Fedor
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Debbie Granato
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Cassette Labeler

We have 2 Primera slide printers and have had nothing but problems since the day we started using them. We usually need to print 20-40 slides at a time and almost always have a jam up while printing. We have also had a problem with the ribbon breaking. We had so many problems Primera replaced our printers with new ones and we still had the same problems.
Another note you can't use any slide you want with Primera, the printing surface needs to have a certain texture for the ink to stick. For example it does not print on Leica slides but will print on IMEB slides.

We demonstrated the Thermo printers and really liked them but the cassette printer didn't have a large enough output for us. We can print anywhere from 200-1000 cassettes at a time.

Currently we use Leica's printers and love them. They are great work horses, we have very few problems with them and when we do have problems they are very easy to troubleshoot.