[Histonet] Amyloid by Congo Red

Lewis, Sarah Sarah.Lewis <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Jan 23 12:13:59 CST 2015

We do all of our Congo Red staining on Muscle and Nerve frozen sections.  Sometimes when there is very little amyloid detected using the bright-field/polarizing microscope our pathologist will confirm under a fluorescent microscope with the Rhodamine Red filter.  This shows the amyloid inclusions very well.

Sarah E. Lewis HT, ASCP
The Research Institute at
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Center for Gene Therapy
Neuromuscular Division
Rm WA3110
(614)722-2204

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Robinson [mailto:JRobinson <@t> pathology-associates.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:44 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Amyloid by Congo Red

Greetings to all Histotechs-  Here's an amyloid question for the braintrust.  We are cutting our slides and controls at 9 and staining in Congo Red for 1 hour.  The control stains fine but the patient tissue is staining negative even on cases that the pathologist assures us should be positive for amyloid.  We are using the Leica APEX charged slides with control and patient tissue on the same slide.  Does anyone have any thoughts on why the patient tissue is not staining?  Thanks!

Jeff Robinson HT, HTL, Senior Histotechnologist, Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.

This email and attachments may contain PHI that is privileged and confidential and is not intended for any unauthorized person. If you, the reader, are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Do not read the email but instead reply to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments. Thank you.