[Histonet] Cracking paraffin blocks

Hans B Snyder hans <@t> histologistics.com
Fri Jan 23 11:07:03 CST 2015

Hello Tim,

I also have had this cracking problem in the past but since resolved.
I'm not sure about the specifics of the cracking problem but the cold
plate might have something to do with it.  Our cold plate is set to
-5C and use Paraplast from McCormick Scientific.  Our paraffin is
roughly the same melting temp as yours, so probably not much
difference.

Unfortunately trial and error is apart of our jobs since there is
relatively little uniformity in histology equipment and products. Have
you tried setting the cold plate to a warmer temperature yet?  It's
worth a try and if that doesn't work maybe the paraffin has been
getting too hot.  I know when the paraffin gets too hot, the wax and
plastic separate or break down and cause inconsistencies in the
paraffin.  To test this, take an external thermometer and place inside
the paraffin tank.  Then record the temp every hour for some time.
This will tell you if the tank itself is a consistent temperature.

Also, are the blocks taken off the cold plate and immediately jarred
loose from the mold?  Sometimes when I do this the shock of pried out
of the mold can cause the paraffin to become brittle and break rather
than bend.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you
Hans B Snyder